Can I receive online notifications from the CRA instead of through the mail?

Yes. If you’re registered to use the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) My Account service, you can choose to receive some of your mail from the CRA over the Internet, rather than waiting for it to come by mail.  Selecting this option is not only good for the environment, it also lets you know exactly where you can find your important documents, like your notice of assessment or reassessment, whenever you need it.


What sort of correspondence will I receive?

While the CRA is always adding more correspondence to their online mail service, you can currently expect to receive the following documents (if applicable) through it:

  • Notices of assessment (NOA)
  • Notices of reassessment
  • Tax-free savings account (TSFA) letters
  • Benefit notices
  • T1 adjustment notices
  • Instalment payment reminder and
  • Certain collection letters

When new correspondence becomes available, the CRA will send you a notification that a new document is available to view in My Account, so you never have to worry about missing something.


How do I register?

Registering to receive online mail is easy. Simply register with My Account and provide your email address when completing your 2016 return. To do this in H&R Block’s tax software:

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon.

  2. Click the CRA questions link (if you’re a resident of Québec, click the CRA/Revenu Québec questions link):

  3. Enter your email address into the designated field of the tax software and agree to the terms and conditions.