CPP or QPP survivor benefits

If your spouse, common-law partner, or parent has passed away, you might be entitled to receive certain Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Québec Pension Plan (QPP) survivor benefits. This program is comprised of three common benefits:

To receive these benefits, the deceased person must have paid into either the CPP or QPP. If you’re the recipient of any of these benefits, you’ll be issued a T4A(P): Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits detailing the amounts that you must report when completing your tax return. Residents of Québec might also receive a Relevé 2: Retirement and annuity income (RL-2) slip.

Note: If you’re under 35 years of age, not disabled, and are not raising the child of the deceased, you won’t be eligible to collect the survivor’s pension until you’re 65. Also, you won’t receive a T4A(P) for child benefits if the child is under 18; you’ll only receive it if the child is over 18 and enrolled in post-secondary studies.

If you live in Québec, refer to Revenu Québec's website for information regarding the orphan’s pension or pension for a disabled person’s child.

How do I apply?

Benefit Form
CPP Death Benefit

Death Benefit Application Form

CPP Survivor's Pension or Child Benefit Survivor’s Pension and Child(ren)’s Benefit(s) Application Form


If you live in Québec, refer to Revenu Québec's website for information on how to apply for the death benefit, surviving spouse’s pension, or the orphan’s pension.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

  1. On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You will find yourself here:

  2. Type T4A(P) (or RL-2 or relevé 2, if applicable) in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the T4A(P) page, enter your information into the tax software.