TP-1029.TM-V: Grant for Seniors to Offset a Municipal Tax Increase

If you’re a resident of Québec who’s at least 65 years of age and the home you’ve owned for at least 15 consecutive years has increased in value, you might be able to claim the grant for seniors to offset a municipal tax increase. As long as you’re eligible to receive it, this grant will help lower the amount of municipal taxes you have to pay; all you have to do is complete form TP-1029.TM-V.

The amount of your grant is based on your current municipal tax bill (up to $500) as well as the grant amounts received by you and other co-owners during your residence's previous evaluation role (if applicable, up to $500).

To claim the grant, the following conditions must apply:

  • Your family income was $50,400 or less
  • You received a municipal tax bill in your name, or in another co-owner’s name, for your home in 2016
  • Your home is a residential building consisting of only one dwelling, and it’s where your principal residence

Note: A principal residence refers to the dwelling which you, your spouse, your former spouse, or your child used as a housing unit during the year. There are however a number of conditions that must be met before a home can be designated as a primary residence. For more information, refer to the Revenu Québec website.

In some cases, your home may have been owned by your spouse before you became an owner. If that’s the case, that period of ownership still counts towards the previously mentioned 15-year time frame. If you’re a co-owner of your home you can split the grant, but you’ll have to make sure that each co-owner files a separate copy of this form with your respective returns.


Francine purchased her home in 1999. In 2005, she married George and subsequently made him a co-owner of her property. Even though George has only co-owned this property for 11 years (as of 2016), he can still claim this credit on his return because the period of time during which Francine was the sole owner still counts towards the 15 year ownership requirement.

Note: If there’s more than two co-owners of your home, you’ll need to file paper returns (not electronically), and you’ll need to include a separate sheet listing each owner’s name and social insurance number.

If you sell your home after December 31st, 2016, you can’t claim this grant for 2016.


What is an assessment roll?

When a property assessment roll is performed, it allows a municipality to take inventory of all the properties (buildings and land included) located within its territory, and determine their value. Assessment rolls are performed by municipalities every 3 years.

If the current assessment roll for your property is for the years 2017, 2018, and 2019, it means that the last year covered by your previous assessment roll is 2016 (this assessment covers the years 2014, 2015, and 2016). It also means that you’ll need to report the grant amount issued to you (and any other co-owner) for 2016 and claimed on your 2015 Québec return.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31, 2016.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the LET’S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.

  2. Select the checkbox labelled I was retired or I was 65 or older.

  3. Click the RETIREMENT icon. You will find yourself here:

  4. Under the CREDITS heading, select the checkbox labelled Grant for seniors to offset a municipal tax increase (TP-1029.TM-V) and click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the page for the Grant for seniors to offset a municipal tax increase, enter your information into the tax software.