If you’re a taxi driver living in Québec, you can claim the refundable tax credit for taxi drivers (up to a maximum of $565) by using TP-1029.9.V if:
- you held a taxi driver’s permit but not a taxi owner’s permit at some point during the year or
- you held a taxi driver’s permit and a taxi owner’s permit on December 31st, and you paid for less than 90% of the fuel costs for each taxi covered by a permit
If you’re a taxi owner living in Québec, you too can use TP-1029.9.V to claim your tax credit for taxi owners as long as you held at least one taxi owner’s permit on December 31st and you paid for 90% or more of the fuel costs for each taxi covered by a permit. The maximum credit you can expect to receive is $565 per permit.
Note: If your taxi owner’s permit was issued in more than one person’s name, you’ll need to choose one person to be the sole permit holder on the TP-1029.9.V to claim the tax credit.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31, 2016.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the LET'S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.
- Select the checkbox labelled I was employed or I worked for myself then select your province or territory of self-employment.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the CREDITS AND REBATES heading, select the checkbox labelled Tax credit for taxi drivers or taxi owners (TP-1029.9-V), then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for your TP-1029.9-V slip, enter your information into the tax software.