Employment income not reported on an information slip (tips, gratuities, or income earned from occasional or temporary work)

If you earned employment income such as tips, gratuities, or occasional earnings during the year, chances are you might not have received an information slip (T4/T4A or RL-1) for it. Remember, this income is still taxable and it’s your responsibility to report it on your tax return for the year.

Reporting your employment income allows you to claim certain deductions and credits, including the Canada employment amount (H&R Block automatically claims this amount for you). You might also be able to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Québec Pension Plan (QPP) for the tips, gratuities, or occasional earnings you received during the year.

Note: Keep a track of all your earnings by either receipts, bank statements, or a simple log so that you can support the claims you make on your tax return.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the LET’S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.

  2. Select the checkbox I was employed.

  3. Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You'll find yourself here:

  4. Under the EMPLOYMENT heading, select the checkbox labelled Other income you earned or received in 2016.

  5. When you arrive at the page for Other income you earned or received in 2016, enter your information into the tax software.

 Note: You can also find this page under the OTHER icon of the PREPARE tab.