Once in a while, you might forget to claim a deduction or credit when preparing your return. By completing a TP-1012.B-V: Carry-back of a deduction or tax credit, you can adjust a previous tax return, allowing you to claim what you might have originally missed.
Some deductions you can claim with an amended tax return are:
- Expenses related to a research grant
- An adjustment of your investment expenses
- Donations and gifts
Note: While the carry-back of your deductions or credits won’t reduce any late-filing penalties for the carry-back year, they might result in a refund which can be applied against amounts you owe for another tax year.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31, 2016.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS heading, select the checkbox labelled Carry-back of a deduction or credit (TP-1012.B-V), then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for the Carry-back of a deduction or credit, enter your information into the tax software.