Carry-back of a loss (TP-1012.A-V)

If you sustained a loss in 2016 and want to carry it back to one or more of the past three years, you can do so by using form TP-1012.A-V: Carry-back of a loss.  If you had a net-capital loss this year, you can carry the loss back and apply it to a past capital gain using this form.

Note: If you carry back a loss, any late-filing penalties that you owe for the year to which you’re carrying back the loss won’t be reduced. However, a refund from the carry-back can be applied to any debt you owe the government.

You can also use the TP-1012.A-V to carry back:

  • A net loss resulting from a loss on precious property, reducing how much you gained by selling it
  • A non-capital loss from a restricted farm loss, which can be applied against your restricted farming income
  • A non-capital loss from other types of businesses, which can be applied to any type of income that you had
  • A loss related to fishing or farming, which can be applied to any type of income that you had


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes: 

Before you begin, ensure that you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31, 2016.

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon.You will find yourself here:


  2. Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS section, select the checkbox labelled Carry-back of a loss (TP-1012.A-V), and click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for the Carry-back of a loss, enter your information in the software.