Manitoba School Tax Credit for Homeowners

The Manitoba School Tax Credit for Homeowners is a refundable credit designed to help low-income Manitobans aged 55 or older who are paying school tax for their home.

You can claim this credit if you meet the following conditions:

  • You were 55 or older on December 31
  • Your family income is less than $23,800
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner owns, is buying, or is a life tenant of a principal residence
  • The assessed school tax for your home is more than $160 for the year

If you happen to own a mobile home, special rules might apply. For more information, contact the Manitoba Tax Assistance Office.

Note: If you’re a tenant, you must apply to Manitoba Family Services directly by contacting the Provincial Services Office, which you can do by one following methods:

  • If you live in Winnipeg, call 204-945-2197
  • If you live outside of Winnipeg, call 1-877-587-6224 or
  • Email:

For more information, see School Tax Assistance for Tenants 55 Plus (STAT 55+).

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

Before you begin, make sure that you told us you lived in MANITOBA on December 31, 2016.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:

  2. Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners, then click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for the Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners, enter your information into the tax software.