The Manitoba School Tax Credit for Homeowners is a refundable credit designed to help low-income Manitobans aged 55 or older who are paying school tax for their home.
You can claim this credit if you meet the following conditions:
- You were 55 or older on December 31
- Your family income is less than $23,800
- You or your spouse or common-law partner owns, is buying, or is a life tenant of a principal residence
- The assessed school tax for your home is more than $160 for the year
If you happen to own a mobile home, special rules might apply. For more information, contact the Manitoba Tax Assistance Office.
Note: If you’re a tenant, you must apply to Manitoba Family Services directly by contacting the Provincial Services Office, which you can do by one following methods:
- If you live in Winnipeg, call 204-945-2197
- If you live outside of Winnipeg, call 1-877-587-6224 or
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, see School Tax Assistance for Tenants 55 Plus (STAT 55+).
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure that you told us you lived in MANITOBA on December 31, 2016.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners, then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for the Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners, enter your information into the tax software.