If you’re an employee or a member of a partnership, you can use the VD-358-V to claim a Québec Sales Tax (QST) rebate on certain expenses you paid in 2016. The VD-358-V is similar to the federal GST370: Employee and partner GST/HST rebate application, which is used to claim a rebate on GST/HST.
You can claim the QST rebate if:
- Your employer or partnership is registered for QST
- Your employer isn’t listed as a financial institution
- You paid QST on expenses you’re deducting, like business income, employment expenses, or professional dues
You’re entitled to the QST rebate if you paid for work-related expenses like travel, entertainment, supplies, and more. You can learn more about your eligible employment expenses by visiting the Revenu Québec website.
For the QST rebate on professional dues or dues paid to an artists' association, , make sure:
- The dues you’ve paid are related to your employment
- The income you’ve earned doesn’t entitle you to the deduction for an Indian or other miscellaneous deductions (refer to point(s) 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 18, 19, or 23)
If you’re filing a paper return, remember to include your VD-358-V.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31, 2016.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the LET'S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.
- Select the checkbox labelled I was employed.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the CREDITS AND REBATES heading, click the checkbox labelled Québec sales tax rebate for employees and partners (VD-358-V), then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for form Québec sales tax rebate for employees and partners, enter your information into the tax software.