The Manitoba Tuition Fee Income Tax Rebate is a non-refundable tax credit designed to help recent graduates pay for their education while they live and work in Manitoba. If you’re a recent grad and you work and pay taxes in Manitoba, you’ll receive a rebate of up to 60% on all your eligible tuition fees (up to a maximum of $25,000)!
You can claim this credit if:
- You were a resident of Manitoba on December 31
- You completed your program of study and graduated after December 31, 2006 and
- You didn’t claim your tuition fees in a previous year
Note: It doesn’t matter if you completed your post-secondary studies in Manitoba or elsewhere; if you currently live and work in Manitoba and you’ve met the conditions above, you can claim this credit.
Your first claim of this rebate must be within 10 years of your graduation date. If you’ve got any unused amounts after your initial claim, they can be carried forward for up to 20 years after your initial claim.
How much is the rebate worth?
The annual rebate amount that you receive will be the lesser of:
- 10% of your total tuition amount
- Your Manitoba tax payable or
Can I take advantage of this rebate while I’m still in school?
If you currently live in Manitoba and you’re enrolled in post-secondary studies, you can actually claim 5% of the tuition fee rebate before you even graduate. This advance is available to students that have paid tuition fees for a school term that ends after November 2010. If you apply for the advance, the most you can expect to receive is $500 per year, up to $5,000 lifetime. Keep in mind that whatever advance amounts you receive will reduce your lifetime claim amount under the Manitoba Tuition Fee Income Tax Rebate.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in MANITOBA on December 31.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the LET'S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.
- Select the checkbox labelled, I wasn’t a student, but I have unused education amounts.
- Click the STUDENTS icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the CREDIT AMOUNTS heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba tuition fee income tax rebate (T1005), then click Continue.