Relevé 5: Benefits and indemnities (RL-5)

Did you receive any benefits or financial assistance this year from the Québec government? If so, this information will be shown on your Relevé-5 (RL-5) slip, which you’ll need to report on your tax return.

This slip reports the benefits and indemnities you received from Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale (MESS), the Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité au travail (CNESST) or the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), for payments such as:

  • Social assistance payments
  • Worker’s compensation
  • Income replacement indemnities
  • Other forms of financial assistance, besides social assistance
  • Amounts and allowances for childcare
  • Other income you received for work suspensions, an act of good citizenship, being the victim of a crime, or a program for income replacement assistance

The amounts shown on your RL-5 slip aren’t taxable, but you need to include them in your net income to make sure your benefits are properly calculated.

The RL-5 is also used to report your reimbursements of social assistance payments and adjustments for the indemnities you received. It’s similar to the federal T5007: Statement of benefits, which shows your workers’ compensation benefits and social assistance payments for the year.

Remember: You must also report any corresponding T5007 slip(s) on your federal tax return.


Where do I claim this?

 Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

  1.  On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You will find yourself here:

  2. Type RL-5 or relevé 5 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for your RL-5, enter your information into the tax software.


Where can I learn more?