The Yukon research and development tax credit (for individuals) is a refundable tax credit that allows you to claim up to 15% of eligible expenses you paid to conduct scientific research and experimental development (SR&ED) activities within the Yukon territory. If the expenses were paid to the Yukon College, you can claim an additional 5% on your return.
Important: You must claim this tax credit within 12 months of the tax year in which your eligible expenses were paid.
To be eligible to claim this credit, you must be a resident of the Yukon on December 31, 2016.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in the YUKON on December 31, 2016.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the LET'S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.
- Select the checkbox labelled I was employed or I worked for myself and select the Yukon as your territory of self-employment.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the EXPENSES heading, select the checkbox labelled Yukon research and development tax credit for individuals (T1232), then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for the Yukon research and development tax credit for individuals, enter your information into the tax software.