Select this checkbox if you weren’t a student this year but you have:
- Unused federal and/or provincial tuition amounts or
- Unused student loan interest
You can claim any unused federal or provincial tuition amounts and/or any unused student loan interest amounts (even from previous years) to reduce your income tax payable.
You should also select this checkbox if you’re a recent graduate and want to claim any of the following provincial tax credits:
- Québec’s tax credit for recent graduates working in remote resource regions (TP-776.1.ND-V)
- Manitoba tuition fee income tax rebate (T1005)
- Saskatchewan graduate retention program (RC360)
Where can I learn more?
- Carry forward of unused federal tuition, education, and textbook amounts from previous years (H&R Block Help Centre article)
- Student loan interest paid in 2016 or interest not claimed in a previous year (Loan interest) (H&R Block Help Centre article)