What do I need to send in with my paper tax return?

If you’re mailing your return to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and/or Revenu Québec, you’ll need to attach the following documents to your return (as applicable). Be sure to keep copies for your records!

Note: You only need to send documents that the CRA requires in support of certain credits and deductions. For example, you’ll need to submit your T4 slip in support of your employment income for the year and not your paystubs. Keep all other supporting documents (including bank statements) for your records in case the CRA askes to see them later. 

  • Information slips such as your T4, T4A, T3, T5, RL-1, RL-2, RL-3, RL-16
  • All completed schedules and forms that are a part of your return, including the Schedule 1 (federal tax) and your provincial or territorial Form 428 or your Québec tax return 

Note: When you download the mail-in copy of your return from H&R Block’s tax software, it will already include the forms and schedules that apply to you and which either agency needs.

  •  Tuition fees certificates for the tuition amounts you paid such as your T2202A or TL11A/TL11B/TL11C/TL11D
  •  Official receipts for:
    • RRSP contributions, including those you aren’t deducting on your return for the year and those you are designating as Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) or Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) repayments
    • Federal political contributions
    • Charitable donations
    • Medical expenses
    • Public transit passes
    • Child care expenses
    • Foreign taxes paid
  • Other proof of payment for:
    • Amounts of Employment Insurance (EI) you repaid
    • Amounts paid for non-resident dependants
    • Interest paid on your student loans


Where can I learn more?