How do I claim my property taxes?

Depending on your tax situation, there are a lot of different ways that you can claim your property taxes. Click each of the links, on the left side of this article, that apply to you to learn more:


Rental property

You can claim your rental property’s property tax, for the period that the property was available for rent, on form T776: Statement of Real Estate Rentals.


Commission/Sales employees

You might be able to claim your property taxes if you’re a commission or sales employee and you work from home. You’ll need to meet specific Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) conditions, and have form T2200: Declaration of Conditions of Employment from your employer. You’ll make your claim on form T777: Statement of Employment Expenses.  



If you’re self-employed (sole proprietorship, partnership, farmer, fisher), there are a couple of scenarios that might apply to you:



As a farmer or fisher, your property taxes are automatically claimed on Schedule L based on information you enter on the T2042: Statement of Farming Activities or the T2121: Statement of Fishing Activities.

If you’re a certified forest producer actively engaged in developing your woodlots and you held a valid certificate issued for that purpose by the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, you can claim your property taxes for each assessment unit listed on your certificate. You can calculate your refund on Part C of Schedule E.


Québec residents

If you live in Québec and you’re self-employed or you have commission income, you can claim your property taxes on form TP-80-V: Business or Professional Income and Expenses.


Ontario residents

As an Ontario resident, you can claim your property taxes through the Ontario energy and property tax credit (OEPTC) by completing the ON-BEN: Application for the Ontario Trillium Benefit and the Ontario Senior Homeowner’s Property Tax Grant form. The credit is calculated based on your family income for the year.


Manitoba residents

As a Manitoba resident, you might be eligible to claim an amount for your property taxes paid through the Education Property Tax Credit (EPTC). You can claim the EPTC on form MB479: Manitoba Credits.


Where can I learn more?