Relevé 11: Flow-through shares (RL-11)

Relevé 11 (RL-11) slips are issued to investors by development corporations that issue flow-through shares and typically report the following information:

  • Canadian exploration expenses
  • Canadian development expenses
  • Québec exploration expenses
  • Québec surface mining exploration expenses or oil and gas exploration expenses and
  • Expenses for exploration in northern Québec

Click here for a full description of the amounts reported on an RL-11 slip.


What’s a flow-through share?

A flow-through share is a type of investment issued by Canadian oil and gas or mineral exploration companies. They’re different from regular shares because they allow certain expenses paid by the exploration company to be claimed by the shareholders on their individual tax returns.

In addition to providing a tax benefit when purchasing them, selling your flow-through shares might mean that you’re entitled to claim a capital gains deduction. If so, you can use the information and amounts shown on your RL-11 slip to claim this deduction. Click this link for more information.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block's tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

Before you begin, make sure that you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2016.

  1. Under the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You'll find yourself here:

  2. Type relevé 11 or RL-11 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for your RL-11 slip, enter your information into the tax software.