The enterprise register at Registraire des entreprises contains information regarding people and enterprises doing business in Québec. Once registered, the Registraire des entreprises will assign your sole proprietorship a 10-digit Québec enterprise number (NEQ). You’ll need to submit an Annual Updating Declaration and pay your annual registration fee when you file your income tax.
Make sure you check the enterprise register first to see if the information they have on file is correct. If it is, select Yes on your return in H&R Block’s tax software. If not, select No and use the Registraire des entreprises website to file your Annual Updating Declaration.
To find out your fee for the year, visit the Fees and Methods of Payment section of the Registraire des entreprises website. You won’t need to pay this fee for the first year you register or the year after that.
Where do I claim this?
Before you begin, make sure that you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2016, in H&R Block’s tax software.
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the LET'S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.
- Select the checkbox labelled I worked for myself then select the province or territory you worked in from dropdown menu.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You will find yourself here:
- Under the BUSINESS AND SELF-EMPLOYMENT heading, select the checkbox labelled Québec annual registration fee for the enterprise register.
- When you arrive at the page for the Québec annual registration fee for the enterprise register, enter your information into the tax software.