T4: Statement of Remuneration Paid

If you were employed during the year, you’ll receive a T4: Statement of Remuneration Paid slip from your employer. This slip shows the income you earned in the year as well as any deductions. If you worked at more than one job, you’ll receive a separate T4 from each of your employers.

If you’re a resident of Québec, you’ll also get an RL-1: Employment and other income slip from your employer that will report your Québec-based income as well as any amounts deducted from that income. Like the T4, you’ll receive a separate RL-1 slip from each employer you had during the year.

I have an amount in box 52 of my T4 slip – what are the tax implications?

If you’ve got an amount showing in box 52 (pension adjustment) of your paper T4 slip, you might be wondering what sort of tax implications it will have on your return. The truth is, having an amount reported in box 52 won’t affect your refund amount or tax owing, but it will reduce your RRSP deduction limit for the following year.

If you belong to a company-sponsored registered pension plan (RPP) or to a deferred profit-sharing plan (DPSP), your T4 will contain a pension adjustment amount in box 52.  To put it simply, a pension adjustment helps to even the playing field between employees who belong to an employer-sponsored plan and those who don’t.

Let’s take a look at an example describing two taxpayers who both earned $50,000 in 2016.

Jason doesn’t belong to an RPP. Given his income, he’s entitled to contribute $9,000 to his RRSP in 2016 ($50,000 x 18%).

Natalie belongs to an employer-sponsored plan. During the year, her employer made regular contributions to the registered pension plan on her behalf. This means her T4 will show a pension adjustment amount (in Natalie’s case, $1,250) and she’ll be entitled to contribute $7,750 to her RRSP in 2016 [($50,000 x 18%) - $1,250].


When I file my return, do I have to send a copy of my T4 to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)?

No. When you file your taxes, you don’t need to send any slips (or copies of slips) to the CRA or Revenu Québec. You should, however, hang on to these documents and other tax-related information for at least six years after you file, in case either agency asks to see them.

Where can I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

  1. Under the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You will find yourself here: 


  2. Enter T4 in the search field then click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for your T4, enter your information into the tax software. 

If you received an RL-1 slip from your employer(s), follow the steps above to enter your information into the tax software.


Give us feedback!

Did you find this article helpful? Please take a few seconds to rate it now!

Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Tell us how we can help!