Claiming your tuition fees with your T2202A certificate

Important: Beginning January 1, 2017, the Canadian government will no longer offer the education and textbook tax credits (students will still be able to claim the tuition tax credit). If you’ve got unused education and textbook credits from years prior to 2017, there’s no cause for alarm - you’ll still be able to claim them or carry forward these amounts for use on future returns. Refer to the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) website for more information regarding these changes.  

The T2202A is issued by Canadian colleges, universities, or other educational institutions certifying that a student was enrolled in a program that qualifies for the federal tuition, education, and textbook amounts credit. If you’re a student who was enrolled during the year in a qualifying educational program at a Canadian college or university, you would’ve received a T2202A.

The T2202A lists the total eligible tuition fees you paid (Box A), as well as the months you were enrolled in school either part-time (Box B) or full-time (Box C) in the tax year. You can use this information to:

  • Claim your tuition, education, and textbook amounts credit
  • Transfer any unused tuition, education, and textbook credit amounts or
  • Carry forward unused tuition, education, and textbook credit amounts to a future year

Note: If you made a charitable donation through your school, your T2202A might include the amounts you donated in the year. You can find your donation amounts under your student number in the Student number box. To claim your donations tax credit, you’ll need to enter this amount on the Donations and gifts (Schedule 9) page under the OTHER tab of the software.

If you received more than one T2202A certificate, you can claim all amounts that are more than $100. However, if you’re enrolled at various educational institutions as a full-time and a part-time student and if there is an overlap in the month of your enrollment, you can’t claim the amounts twice; claim only one amount for each month, either the full-time amount or the part-time amount.

Students living in Québec

If you’re a student enrolled in a post-secondary program at an educational institute in Québec, in addition to the T2202A, you’ll also receive an RL-8: Amount for post-secondary studies slip.

You can use the information on your RL-8 slip to claim the Québec tuition tax credit, as well as to transfer tuition amounts to your parents.


Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

  1. Under the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You'll find yourself here: 


  2. Type T2202A in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue. 

  3. When you arrive at the page for the T2202A, enter your information into the tax software.