If you’re an athlete who lived in Québec on December 31st and for 2016 you’re recognized by the Ministère de l'Éducation, de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche as a top-level athlete, you can claim this tax credit.
You’ll need the certificate issued to you by the Ministère de l'Éducation, de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche to claim the tax credit. Remember to keep your certificate on file just in case Revenu Québec asks to see it.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure you’ve told us that you lived in Quebéc on December 31, 2016.
- Under the PREPARE tab and click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the OTHER DEDUCTIONS heading, select the checkbox labelled Other Québec tax credits.
- When you arrive at the Other Québec tax credits page, enter your information into the tax software.
Where can I learn more?
- Tax credit for a top-level athlete (Revenu Québec website)
- Programme de soutien aux athletes (Ministère de l’education, de l’enseignment supérieur et de la recherche website – in French only)