Does this dependant live with you?

Your answer to this question helps us determine if you’re eligible to claim certain dependant-related deductions and credits on your return, including:

  • Eligible dependant amount
  • Caregiver amount
  • Family caregiver amount
  • Disability transfer
  • Tuition transfer

Other information, like the age of your dependant, will also be used to calculate amounts like your GST/HST credit or your Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB).

To be considered eligible, a dependant is typically someone who:

  • Is a child under 18, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, niece, nephew, aunt, or uncle (of yourself or your spouse or common-law partner), or someone who is mentally or physically infirm
  • Is related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption
  • Lived with you in Canada in a home that you maintained

Remember, if you share custody of your dependant with someone else, only one parent can claim the deductions mentioned above.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:

1. Under the GET STARTED tab, click the ABOUT YOU icon then click the Your family link.

2. Answer Yes to the question Do you have dependants? then click Continue.


3. Click the ABOUT YOUR DEPENDANTS icon. You will find yourself here:


4. Enter your dependant’s information into the spaces provided on the page. Before you click       Continue, make sure you answered Yes to the question Does this dependant live with you?

Note: To add more dependants, simply click the +Add Another Dependant button on your screen.

How do I claim credits for dependants that live with me?

Once you’ve entered your dependant’s information into the tax software, follow these steps to claim your dependant-related credits:

1. Click the name of the dependant located in the left-hand navigation panel.

2. Under the Expenses and Transfer amounts headings, select all the expenses and transfer amounts that applied to you in 2016. When you’re finished, click Continue.

3. When you arrive at the page(s) of the expense(s) and transfer amounts you selected, enter your information into the tax software.

Important: If you told us that that your marital status was married or in a common-law relationship, you might need to tell us which of you will be claiming which credit. To do this:

1. Click the WRAP-UP tab.

2. Under the Credits that can only be claimed by one spouse heading, select which partner will be claiming which credit.