Why do I need to know my dependant’s income?

In order to claim certain federal and provincial/territorial tax credits, you need to know your dependant's net income. You can find this amount on line 236 of your dependant's federal tax return, or on line 275 if you're filing a Québec tax return.

Some examples of common federal and provincial/territorial credits that are calculated based on your dependant’s net income are listed below:

  • GST/HST credit
  • Working income tax benefit (WITB)
  • Spousal/common-law partner amount
  • Age amount if 65 years or older
  • Caregiver amount
  • Disability transfer amount
  • Amount for eligible dependant
  • Amount for an infirm dependant aged 18 or older
  • Family caregiver amount
  • Tuition transfers
  • ​Amount for children born in 1998 or later
  • Non-resident dependant tax credit
  • Medical expenses


Where can I learn more?