The British Columbia Education Coaching Tax Credit is a $500 non-refundable credit for teachers and teaching assistants who coach students for at least 10 hours during the year. This tax credit is available for tax years 2015 to 2017 and can be claimed if you:
- Are a resident of British Columbia on December 31st
- Are a paid teacher or teaching assistant working in a qualified school (such as public, francophone, independent, or First Nations schools)
- Carry out at least 10 hours of unpaid coaching or supervising for students during their extracurricular activities (such as sports, arts, and other activities as long as they are performed after school hours or on a weekend)
Note: Preschools don’t fall under the list of qualified schools. Click here for more information on qualified schools.
Where can I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure that you told us that you lived in British Columbia on December 31, 2016.
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon and navigate to the Special situations page.
- Select Yes to the question Are you a teacher or teaching assistant who coached students for at least 10 hours in 2016?.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue.
Where can I learn more?
- Education Coaching Tax Credit (British Columbia government website)
- Basic Tax Credits (British Columbia government website)