You've got questions. We've got the answers.

Are you a Canadian citizen?

If you and your spouse or common-law partner are  Canadian citizens, you can choose to have your information (your name, date of birth, and address) shared with Elections Canada. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) can only share this information with Elections Canada if:

  • You’re a Canadian citizen and 
  • You authorize the CRA to do so by answering Yes to the Elections Canada question on your federal tax return

Elections Canada uses your information to update the National Register of Electors and places you on the voters’ list. In the event of a federal election or referendum, you’ll receive a voter information card telling you when and where to vote.


Where can I learn more?