You've got questions. We've got the answers.

What province did you live in on December 31?

For tax purposes, you file a return based on the province or territory you live in or are considered a factual resident of as of December 31. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec, if applicable, use this information to calculate your and your spouse's or common-law partner's (if applicable) provincial taxes and credits. Based on your province, H&R Block’s tax software takes into account the provincial amounts applicable to your situation and helps you and your spouse claim the maximum credits available to the both of you.

For example, if you moved from Alberta to Ontario during the year and live there as of December 31, you must file a federal and Ontario tax return. You’ll be entitled to receive the Ontario benefits and credits that apply to your situation and not those from Alberta. Keep in mind, you’ll still need to include any tax slips (such as a T4) that you’ve received from Alberta on your return.

If you moved temporarily from one province to another for work, the CRA considers your province of residence to be the one where you have the most significant residential ties (a home, spouse or common-law partner, or dependants). Let’s say you moved from British Columbia to Alberta for work and your spouse and children continue to live in British Columbia in the home you own, your province of residence is British Columbia.


Where can I learn more?