You will see the following error message in H&R Block’s 2016 tax software if you are filing a return separate from your spouse or common-law partner and you entered an amount for his/her provincial disability amount but did not enter their federal disability amount on the Amounts from [spouse]’s 2016 return page:

You entered the provincial amount of your spouse’s disability amount being transferred to you, but you also need to enter the federal amount being transferred. [error code: 148]

How do I fix this?

To correct the error, enter your spouse’s or common-law partner’s federal disability amount into the designated field of the Amounts from [spouse]’s 2016 return page. You can locate this amount on your partner’s federal Schedule 1. Click here for more information on the federal disability amount.

Note: The Amounts from [spouse]’s 2016 return page can be found on the PREPARE tab under the OTHER icon. To see the federal Disability amount field, you must answer Yes to the following questions:

  • Is [spouse] suffering from a prolonged physical or mental infirmity?
  • Is there a Disability Tax Credit Certificate on file with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)?