You've got questions. We've got the answers.


You'll see the following error message in H&R Block’s 2016 tax software if, you're a Canadian resident and are filing a tax return with your spouse or common-law partner, who is a newcomer to Canada, but you did not enter the net income amount you earned while your partner was living outside Canada:

You need to enter the net income you earned while your spouse was living outside Canada. If you had no income, enter 0. [error code: 160]

How do I fix this?

To correct the error, enter your net income for the period your spouse or common-law partner was living outside Canada on the Newcomers page of your partner’s tax return. You can find the Newcomers page under the OTHER icon of the PREPARE tab.

Note: You'll only see this error if you're a resident of Canada but your spouse or common-law partner is a newcomer and moved to Canada in 2016.