You've got questions. We've got the answers.


You will see the following error message in H&R Block’s 2016 tax software if you indicated that your marital status changed in 2016 but you entered an incorrect year in the date of your marital status change:

You need to enter a date that’s in 2016. [error code:111]

How do I fix this?

To correct the error, enter the date your marital status changed on the Your family page under the ABOUT YOU icon. The date must be in 2016.

Note: If you indicated your marital status changed in 2016, depending on your current and previous marital status, you must enter the correct date in response to one of the following questions that appears in the software:

  • Enter the date you were married
  • Enter the date you became common law
  • Enter the date of your divorce
  • Enter the date you separated from your spouse or common-law partner
  • Enter the date your spouse passed away