What is the CRA’s My Account service and what can it do for me?

My Account is a secure online service offered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) that allows you to conveniently access your income tax and benefit information as well as manage your tax affairs in one place.

In addition to the security benefits that My Account provides, it also allows you to see your documents as they become available instead of having to wait for them to arrive by mail.

How can I access My Account?

To access My Account, you simply need to register for it. Registering for My Account is easy and takes just a few minutes. Before you begin, make sure you have the following information handy: 

  • Your social insurance number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your current postal code or zip code and
  • Your current or previous tax return (you’ll be asked to enter an amount reported on a specific line of either this year’s or last year’s return)

Once you complete the first stage of registration, you’ll have limited access to your tax information through My Account. The CRA will then mail you a physical copy your CRA security code which you’ll use to complete the registration process. Once finished, you’ll be able to access all of the services available in My Account.

Note: If you live In Canada or the United States, it could take 5 – 10 business days for you to receive your security code from the CRA.

My Account: What’s new for 2016

The CRA made a number of changes to My Account in 2016 including:

  • Link between My Account and My Service Canada Account – If you’re registered for both the CRA’s My Account for individuals and the Employment and Social Development Canada’s My Service Canada Account, you can now access both services within the same session. This means that you won’t have to revalidate your identity when navigating between services.

  • Even more slips available – The CRA has added more information slips that can be viewed online, including:
    • T4RSP
    • T4RIF
    • T3
    • T5
    • T5007
    • T5008 and
    • RRSP contribution receipt

Remember that in addition to your current year’s tax information, you’ll also be able to review slips that go back 10 years.

  • You can now print your Proof of income statement – To save you time, you can now print a copy of your Proof of income statement for each of the last 3 years (starting with 2013) as long as the returns for those years have been assessed by the CRA.

  • View Mail – You now have the ability to view all of your eligible correspondence from the CRA using My Account. You’ll also receive notifications when there’s new mail for you to view so that you never miss anything important. You can expect more pieces of mail to become available throughout the year, but here are the ones you’ll find this year:
    • T1 adjustment letters
    • TSFA letters and
    • Notice of assessment or notice of reassessment

Where can I learn more?