IMPORTANT: As a resident of Québec, you’ll need to complete both the Schedule T and Schedule 11 to calculate the tuition, education, textbook, and examination fees that you’re entitled to claim. Fortunately, both of these pages are combined in H&R Block’s tax software, so you’ll be able to complete them at the same time.
Schedule T is used to claim, carry forward, or transfer the tuition or examination fees you paid in 2016 (or fees paid between 1997 and 2015, as long as they haven’t been used to calculate a tax credit for tuition or examination fees on a previous Québec return).
If transferring unused amounts to someone else, it’s important to remember that you can only transfer current year tuition and examination fees to an eligible family member (spouse, parent, or grandparent); amounts carried forward from a previous year cannot be transferred.
Note: If these fees were paid for or reimbursed by your employer (or the employer of one of your parents), you can still claim a credit related to these fees as long as the amount that was paid or reimbursed by the employer is included in your income, or the income of one of your parents.
How do I know if my tuition or examination fees qualify for this credit?
To be eligible, the tuition or examination fees that you paid must total at least $100 and they must have been paid to a recognized academic institution. For more information, refer to the Revenu Québec website.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s tax software to file your 2016 taxes:
Before you begin, make sure you told us you lived in QUÉBEC on December 31, 2016.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the LET’S TALK ABOUT 2016 icon.
- Select the checkbox labelled, I was a student or I wasn’t a student, but have unused education amounts.
- Click the STUDENTS icon. You’ll find yourself here:
- Under the CREDIT AMOUNTS heading, select the checkbox labelled Tuition or examination fees carried forward from a previous year (Schedule 11 & Schedule T), then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for your Schedule 11/Schedule T, enter your information into the tax software.
Follow these steps if you’re claiming this amount from a dependant:
Before you begin, make sure you’ve told us about the dependant(s) for whom you’ll be claiming this amount.
- Click the name of the dependant in the left-hand navigation panel.
- Under the Transfer amounts heading, select the checkbox labelled Tuition, education, and textbook amounts, then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for transferring your dependant’s tuition, education, and textbook amounts, enter your information into the tax software.
Give us feedback!
Did you find this article helpful? Please take a few seconds to rate it now!
Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Tell us how we can help!